Electricity was not returned to the Louisville Seminary campus on Sunday evening, September 21. Therefore, President Dean Thompson and Seminary Dean David Hester enacted a contingency plan that will enable students to return to classes, beginning Monday, September 22.
Classes will be held as scheduled at Fourth Avenue United Methodist Church, where educational space has been prepared thanks to the kindness of the church’s pastor, Dr. Jean Hawxhurst, a graduate of Louisville Seminary, and church members.
For students in the Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) Program, ICC will be held at 9:30 a.m. at Fourth Avenue United Methodist Church.
This evening, students met with Dr. Hester, Rev. Kilen Gray, Dean of Students, and Dr. Douglas Gragg, Director of Library and Information Technology Services, to discuss in more detail class schedules and a plan for accessing some library services during the power outage.
Offices on the campus of Louisville Seminary will remain closed. However, some employees may be called by their supervisors to assist with assignments as requested.
Today, electrical crews worked in areas that closely surround the 57-acre Seminary campus. They have reported to Facilities Director Tim Williams that six power poles need repair, and power could be restored by late Monday. Work has been challenging in the wooded areas. However, if progress goes as planned, classes and offices should be open on the campus by Tuesday morning.
All who are able, should continue to consult the Louisville Seminary website for updates and information regarding the Seminary’s electrical status. Individuals who are trying to contact someone on the campus of Louisville Seminary may continue to call Director of Communications Michelle Melton for assistance at 502.609.5697.
Directions to Fourth Avenue United Methodist Church
318 West Saint Catherine
Louisville, KY 40203
Located on the corner of West St. Catherine and Fourth Streets, you can reach the building from several directions:
- If you are coming from downtown Louisville, simply drive south on Fourth Street until you reach St. Catherine.
- If you are coming into the city on Interstate 71, when you get downtown, take Interstate 65 South. Exit on St. Catherine Street, and drive a few blocks to Fourth Street.
- If you are coming into the city on Interstate 64, when you get downtown, take Interstate 65 South. Follow the above directions from there.
- From Louisville Seminary, access Interstate 64 West from Lexington Road and proceed with previous directions.
- If you are coming into the city on Interstate 65 (going north), exit at St. Catherine Street and drive a few blocks to Fourth Street.
There is ample parking in the lot next to the church, and students are requested to enter through the side door on St. Catherine Street after ringing the doorbell.